Wednesday, March 14, 2018

March 14: The Question Game


About two years ago, my daughter Haidyn invented "The Question Game". It is a game you play at dinner, where you ask a question, and everyone answers. These questions are not just how was your day or what's your favorite color today, but what if questions. They have ranged from "If you had a restaurant, what would you call it, serve, etc.?" to Jason's favorite "If you were stranded on a deserted island, who or what would you bring with you" (that question cost me the Jr. Miss competition in high school, I swear).

Tonight, Haidyn was giving me things to blog about, so here is my own question and answer for the game. If you could write a book, what would it be about?

My second dream job is an author. My first dream job was a teacher, and I had no idea that I wanted to be an instructional coach, but I do, and I am one. Back to being an author, I have been brainstorming ideas for years, but I never followed through with any of them.

1) Children's book about a duck named Quackers who talks too much. I thought it could be a series where he would chitter chatter all kinds of places from school to the dentist to wherever. My lesson would have talking can actually pay off in the end.

2) I started a book about a girl who was going to her ten year high school reunion. I started this book the same year I went to mine, but the plot line was all made up, except the setting. Young girl thinks back to high school and her sweetheart and how awesome he was, but they faded away. She went to college, got married, and her husband gets cancer and dies. She is now pregnant with her late husband's baby, and when she goes to the reunion, she reunites with her high school sweetheart.

3) I love text features in books, so I have an idea where students run a hotline for kids with problems. The conversations on the hotline are all texting, and it would appear like that in the book.

4) I am not sure if there are very many books about groups of teachers. I think it would be great to see a book that shows different teacher characters through each chapter. For instance, Mrs. Reynolds is an English teacher who has a great family, but her mom is sick while Mr. Foxx is a science teacher who lives alone and devotes all his time to school. There would be at least 4 main character teachers, and then, I could put in students, who could have sequel books.

5) I discovered today that I need a new idea for 6th grade books that is on their reading level but does not have any naughty things in it, so we can use it in class. I have not had time to think on this for long, but I will.

In the comments, let me know which idea you like best, or if you have an idea for a great 6th grade book, or another book of your own.

These may never come to fruition, but they are fun to create.

No comments:

Post a Comment