Sunday, March 31, 2019

Day 27: An Instructional Coach Is . . . Busy


Being an instructional coach can be challenging sometimes. There are still moments when I think this job will end, and I will be a teacher again, like I am just on a vacation from the other. I truly love what I do as a coach, and I love the pace of the job. When you tell anyone your job title, they look at you like what is that?!. My husband says, "I teach the teachers", but I would disagree because they teach me. The way I explain it is I am over professional development, writing curriculum, and working with teachers to create the best environment for students. Yet, until you look over my calendar or hear me talk about all the things I do, you don't really see it all. Here's a peek into my daily life in a typical week.

Monday - Every other week, we meet with the junior high administration first, and then, as coaches, we meet together. In these meetings they range from dialogue on the next big ideas to working diligently planning the next event from brainstorming over Top Chef to determining the best books for professional development to planning a Title instructional coaches meeting. Some days these days are my favorite because I work with my team all day, and we have really grown to be a very close group.

Tuesday - If this were a Core Team day, then, I would be the most like a teacher these days, as I require my "withitness" on these days. These days are filled with many goals, as this year, we have been writing curriculum. We use the backwards method, as we should, begin with the assessment in mind, and then, add resources and instructional strategies to create the units. I enjoy the inclusion activities and getting to know teachers and have insight into their classrooms, which helps me find resources that the students and the teachers enjoy even more. While all this is going on, I am hoping to include opportunities for conversations on all kinds of topics from what might need changed to what is being celebrated. For the most part, these days make everyone tired, as we do so much deep thinking, but I always feel accomplished and excited at all the good things we have planned.

Wednesday - If this were a day where I would have team meetings in either of my buildings, they tend to move pretty quickly. However, just like a teacher, doing the same meeting over and over can sometimes wear on you. The new conversations in each is what I looks forward to, and I love how different they can be. I love how different pockets of people have such different personalities and still work together so well. Sometimes, I walk away from these blown away by the positive things teachers are doing.

Thursday - If this were a day where I met with teachers and had some of my programs involved, it might look like this:
7:30-9: Work on curriculum or to do list
9-10: Meet with a teacher to plan their next unit
10-11: Go with a 6th grade teacher and her class to Madge T. James for tutoring
11-1: Have Lunchdate with a Book in the library with 3 lunch groups
1-3: Answer or ask email questions, order/look up resources, plan next meetings, work on something specific for a teacher

Friday - If this were a day where I was able to travel for professional development, it would include leaving early, usually. Talking in the vehicle is something I love, as I get to know the teachers. Keeping the conversation going is one of my goals, and then, when we arrive, we get to find out new ideas and practices to implement in the classroom. Learning new things is my favorite! I even like the lunch and drive back talks because then, we focus on all the information we were taking in, and we usually make steps on how to implement it. I have one of these next Friday for social studies, and I am truly looking forward to it.

Saturday/Sunday - Sometime on the weekend, I am probably making a test, gathering resources, crunching data, sending emails, or planning meetings for the week. Very rarely does a weekend go by that I am not working some portion of it.

I hope you can see some of the things that an instructional coach does to further understand my busy life. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment