Sunday, March 31, 2019

Day 29: Who Do You Want to Be?


Today was the day for my reflection conversation with Dr. Moeller. Usually, I leave these conversations thinking very deeply, and I walk away with a quote that I cannot get out of my head. This year, he wrote my quote down, and I moved my thinking but in a bit of a different way.

The questions he always forces me to remember are
Who are you? 
                      Who do you want to be?
                                                          Are your behaviors congruent?

Simply questions. Deep thinking.

I believe I wrote a blog post about this last year, but my mind goes to my daughter Haidyn. This year Mrs. Buford asked them to make a slide for what they want to be when they grow up. Haidyn, at that time, was dreaming of being a chef. We took her picture, and she pasted it on the slide. Through our discussion, I explained to her that I think the challenge should not be what you want to be but who you want to be when you grow up. Do you want to be the kind person that is full of compassion? Do you want to be the comic relief when others are sad? Do you want to be a listener? a collaborator? a leader? a changer?

If I think about who I want to be, one of the things I want to be is an encourager. Our world is so filled with negativity that I hope to not contribute to that bucket, but I want to fill up the positivity bucket. This can range from compliments to validation. I feel like this is one of my strengths, and I hope that I can choose congruent behaviors to represent who I want to be.

Who do you want to be?



No comments:

Post a Comment