Sunday, March 31, 2019

Day 31: My Mom's Day


Today is my mom's birthday, as she would be 84. I miss her every single day.

Picture her:
My mom was always curled up in a chair reading a book and eating cookies. Or you can see her working in the house going from laundry to cooking a meal and cleaning it all up. She was a hard worker, but when all the work was done (probably by 10 a.m. as she had been at work since 4), she enjoyed relaxing by reading or talking (she would talk on the phone until her hand went to sleep).

Hear her:
My mom was a storyteller. I loved hearing about her growing up, and I would ask her to tell the same stories over and over. She laughed loudly and often. When Haidyn was little and my mom was alive, when they talked on the phone, my mom would just say, "Let's laugh." And she would start laughing, and so would Haidyn. They just sat and laughed on the phone for 5 minutes. When we talked between rooms growing up, we spoke loudly rather than walking to each other to have the conversation. When I called her when I was sick, she would say, "Oh poor baby. I wish I could come there and take care of you." And she meant it. She and I could talk at the same time on the phone, yet we were never lost.

Feel her:
My mom gave the best hugs. She was always warm and soft, and I sat on her lap until I was in college. Every morning, I woke up sleepy, and I sat on her lap face to face and tried to sleep a little more. She was comforting and loving and everything you wanted a mom to be.

I could go on and on about memories of my mom, but this gives you just enough to love her without ever meeting her. I am sure of it.

Happy Birthday, Mom! I love you!

Take time today to call or see your mom in honor of mine.


No comments:

Post a Comment